Monday, February 21, 2011

Brady's Birth

For anyone who's interested, here's the whole birthing story. For anyone who's not, there are some cute pictures to enjoy :)

Tuesday I had my regular doctor appointment to check on Brady and make sure things were ok. I got my ultrasound to check fluid levels and such and I knew right away that they were only about half of what they were the week before. I even told Quentin right before we saw the doctor that she might not let me go all the way until Friday, but I was shocked when we saw the Dr. and she told us that the ultrasound showed the cord was wrapped around Brady's neck and because the fluid levels were low we needed to induce that night. She sent us home to get our bags and come back to the hospital. I also got the news that I was now dilated to 3 cm and 90% effaced, which was quite a change from when I was in the hospital Saturday and I was at a 2 and 75% effaced.

We got to the hospital and then they started the Pitocin drip around 6:00. My doctor (Dr. Morse) was not available to attend the birth, so we had Dr. Thies and she was wonderful! About every 20 min they increased the Pitocin, which also meant stronger contractions...yipee! Mom was there to hang out with us and be a backup in case Quentin fainted, and Aliisa came and hung out for a while too. Quentin and I passed the time playing Farkle (and no, Quentin did not let his laboring wife win). When my nurse checked me around 8 I was at 5cm. I had decided I wanted to try medication-free natural birth, and I did pretty well with it until they increased my Pitocin again around 10:00 and the contrations were so intense that I decided I needed an epidural. I got my epidural around 10:30 and it only took a few minutes for it to take effect. I was at a 6 when I got my epidural, and I started dilating VERY quickly after that. It was also at this point that his heartrate would drop with each contraction, so they tried rolling me from side to side, which helped a little at first. I think around 11:20 Dr. Thies said I could start pushing, so I had to push on my side at first. His heartrate continued to drop, so they started prepping for a C-section. Quentin even started putting on the booties, gown and scrub hat for the OR. They let me push on my back a few times, and then started packing my bed up to go to the OR. Dr. Thies did an epistiotomy and said I could have one last shot at pushing before we had no choice but a C-section, so I gave it my all (which is hard to do with an epidural and you can't even really tell if you're pushing or not) and out he came at 11:39! She said it is the closest she has come to getting someone to the OR and then not having to do a c-section after all.
When they laid him on my chest for the very first time it was the most incredible feeling in the world. He was so perfect and I fell in love instantly. It truly is a miracle and we love him more and more every day! He is such a good baby and hardly fusses at all. He came out a pro at feeding, which has made things a lot easier I'm sure. It is so fun to watch Quentin with him...Brady could not ask for a better dad! So here are some pictures right before we were discharged from the hospital...

5 comments:

Karen said...

I still have quite a ways to go, but seeing your little cutie is seriously making me want to see our little girl. And it's making me nostalgic thinking of newborn Andrew. And.....making me want to see you guys and Brady again! We miss you around this place.

Jewelyn said...

hooray! way to go. i am so nervous about the whole labor thing. glad everything worked out well for you guys!

What's up with the Walkers! said...

Wow! Sounds just like our story, except that I ended up in the OR! Great for you that you were able to get that little guy out in time. He's so sweet, I'm just so happy for all of you that reading your blog made my eyes water:)

Crystal said...

I tried posting a comment before, I guess it didn't work! I'm glad that you didn't have to have a c-section! Having them placed on you is the best part! Autumn had the cord around her neck, and came out SO purple!! Was he okay afterward? Welcome to being a mommy! And about Quentin not letting you win, men! haha. When I was in labor Korey went and ate a steak dinner! Congrats to you both! -Crystal Hinton- and PS. You look so wonderful for just having a baby! Go you!

Lori said...

Yay! Can't wait to see him...and you! =) Hope you're doing great!